- Be goofy- If you get motivation from grooving to Janet Jackson, bob your head and get down with it – who really cares what other people think, get over being too cool for life… Use the gym for it’s purpose: to sweat and burn calories, if you so happen to be dancing to your own beat, enjoying your vibe, and happen to pick up vibes from the opposite sex – that’s awesome and it’s kind of cute. If they happen to think you look ridiculous, then they probably can’t carry a beat themselves or maybe they are unable to break a sweat because they spent an hour putting on their makeup before arriving to the gym and are trying to avoid getting those raccoon mascara eyes?!
- Don’t be intimidated in the weight room ladies!- I’ll be honest, it can be super intimidating, but after a closer look around the room – these beefy looking guys aren’t any better than us. In fact I often catch them staring at me and my girls in awe… Guys get impressed with girls that that are strong not wimpy and anorexic looking, so walk in there with your game plan on, know what workout you plan on doing and if you need to reference back to your workout on your iPhone do it, no one will know. Just get in there and be confident, don’t let anyone make you feel like you shouldn’t be there or try to show you up on the bench press. If you need help, or a spot just ask and you’ll have plenty of guys coming to your rescue. Just do yourself a favor, get rid of the chicken arms, do a bicep curl… Strong is sexy!
- Clothing- When I train I’m either in ripped up baggy sweats or the funkiest cutest color coordinated outfit I own, either way I own it! Truth is it doesn’t matter – when working out we don’t need to be a fashion statement, it’s fun to wear all matching lululemon clothing, but just be comfortable in clothing that fits you, that wicks away sweat, supports you and covers you in the appropriate places. If you have all your bases covered just wear whatever blows your hair back, oh yeah and do that du rag or head band, just do it – wear functional stuff, make sure your shoes are supportive and are appropriate for the sport you are participating in, especially if you are a runner – replace those tennis every 2-3 months if you run 3-4x per week.
- Share- When in the facility, be courteous, don’t just sit on the equipment you are using in between sets like it’s your property, you don’t own it, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve witnessed full grown people say “It’s mine” or “I’m not done yet” while they just sit there texting or chatting to someone. We are all grown up; there is no need to act like a 2 year old that doesn’t know any better. That look isn’t becoming … Share the toys kids.
- Have fun- Do your thing. It’s ok to breath when you are training, in fact if the breath is the most essential part, and so be it if you make a face or a noise – umm hello you are doing you, your workout! Again you aren’t there to impress, you are there to do your workout. When I kick-box my coach encourages lough houras when we punch and kick and in yoga we make loud exhale sighs of relief after a strong set of standing postures.
- A sexy body comes from a strong healthy mind- Encompass this by working from the inside out. Take care of yourself by getting enough rest, fueling your body with the right nutrients, and whole natural foods. Listen to your inner guru and not some Hollywood watermelon diet or someone telling you to take a skinny pill, think long-term sustainability. Your liver and inner organs will thank you, your skin and brain will appreciate you. Without starvation you will be able to function and be human. Think about what you want to be, what you look like will follow, you just need to believe.
Always peace & love, ALG
About the Author: