Join The Amy Lynn Grover Fanpage
Follow @AmyLynnGrover On Twitter
Check Out New Photos On Tumblr
I know you want to look good, but you also want to just feel good in your body, and be comfortable in your skin! I hate to break it to you, but that cardio machine you spend all your precious workout time on isn’t going to get rid of whatever you’re trying to lose. Cardio is great for your heart, circulation and looking good in clothes (once you have lifted weights), however lifting weight will help you attain lasting results that will make you look great naked as well as great in clothes; plus you will get better results faster!
Keep in mind there is no such thing as spot treatment; it’s imperative to work all muscle groups equally, as well as the small ones you can’t see!! You can burn the same or more calories in a weight session than in 30 minutes of cardio. To streamline your body you need to foam roll and stretch (I highly recommend yoga). The trick is to plan your workout by the body part, and then add cardio activity and yoga class. Muscles will keep your metabolism burning fat and I promise you ladies- it is next to impossible to get big and bulky unless you that is your goal.
Here are some of my tricks to getting the body of your dreams:
1) Always use your core! Not just in the gym, everywhere! When performing any standing exercises stand in the yoga Warrior I position, alternate legs when switching sets. This is a very strong stance; it will give you power and strength to lift heavier and longer. Engage your core regardless of what you are working (even on your back doing bench press), you’ll burn more calories and protect your back! Get your form checked before you start jump squatting, and protect those knees!
2) Do a lot of reps (like 20 or even 50 depending on the exercise with light weight). You’ll have to adjust how heavy the weights you’re working with, but don’t drop it too low- You want something that’s still a challenge by the 15th rep, so that you have to push for the 20th. This will maximize your calorie burning!
3) Intensity. Add some with cardio moves like 30 jumping jacks, burpees or running in place in between sets.
4) Plyometrics. They will boost your workouts and BURN a ton of calories! I usually do squats then plyometric jump squats/sumo squats, lunges then jumping alternating lunges and for upper body chest press then plyo push-ups (try to clap your hands together). Other cool moves you can try are box jumps, or step up onto a bench 15x each leg fast.
5) No resting in between sets! Try circuit training; pick 2-3 muscle groups plus core. Do at least 3-4 exercises per muscle group and do the circuit between 2-6x depending on your level. This is much more intense way to work out, but it will yield fat-burning results like you’ve never seen before!
6) Work the little muscles too! Think pilates and ballet type moves. They help sculpt and streamline – just don’t spend all day here because unlike lifting weight, they don’t burn a boatload of calories. Try little moves like donkey kicks, fire hydrants and side leg lifts, scorpion, inner thigh lifts.
*If you want to bulk up guys, the trick is heavier weight with fewer reps and of course diet- lots of extra protein.
By doing these tricks you’ll get a hot rockin body, not to mention you’ll feel great in your own skin. Don’t be afraid to challenge yourself! As it gets easier add more weight, reps, sets… Use my tricks and you’ll get there! Don’t worry if you gain a little weight off the bat, it’s just because muscle is dense! Your body will be changing at first, and soon you will have a kicking high metabolism, that will keep your body burning fat when you aren’t working out. If you feel any bulk coming on you need to add yoga, and some kind of cardio (I love spin class) to the mix, as it will streamline your body, and you’ll look seriously hot in whatever you wearing… or don’t wear ;)
About the Author: